My Progress

Monday, February 16, 2009

Precedents Day

So I hear today is some kind of holiday. I know because I tried to talk to someone at my bank and was asked to try back some other time. Well here's to you government employees who have the day off! Tomorrow, I'll be a government employee (I think). I've been selected for jury duty for the first time in the 11 (almost) years that I've been eligible. I submitted the paperwork requesting that I be excused seeing as I'm a full-time grad student and don't have time, but since they never contacted me to let me know what the status of that request was, I'm just gonna have to show up tomorrow morning and see if they'll let me go to my lab instead. I'd hate to try to get out of my civic responsibility, but I've to focus on my practicum. I'm almost done!

Aside from that, I'm finding myself somewhat introspective today. I know I'm going to achieve that goal of 225 pounds this year. I don't know when it's coming, but at less than 50 to go, it's definitely coming. At that point, I'll be in the best shape of my entire life, and I'm not confident that I'll be done with this journey either. I'm pretty sure I'll be pressing on to 210, 200, hell, maybe even 190 (I doubt that, but we'll see). I set that goal of 225 arbitrarily based on my very realistic conclusion that I will never be the 179 pound man that some 19th century sociologist thinks I should be.

I was recently looking at my before photos and realized something. I don't recognize that guy. I had fallen into some serious denial about how far I had gone when I started losing weight last May. More than anything else, I had lost my facial personality. Now, I look in the mirror and I'm just now getting to know the guy that I see, but he's still changing every day. It kind of makes me wish I'd started one of those picture-a-day projects when I started because it really is a dramatic change. Alas, I don't think I have the attention span to spare.

I've said before I don't know when I last weighed 225. I don't even really know when I last weighed what I now weigh. The numbers are all very blurred together between the 185 lb 5'5" 13 year old offensive right guard and the previously most successful weight watcher that finally hit 285 at 22 years old. I'm in uncharted territory, folks and setting new precedents every morning.

6 comments:

CJ said...

Way to go!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'll sit with you at the courthouse. I got called for tomorrow too! Isn't that funny?

Apex Zombie said...

Ugh, jury duty. I hope you're able to get back to your lab quick smart.

And dude, looking forward to seeing you hit your goal! You're so close!

H.E.A. said...

Good luck with your exciting and new uncharted territory!!

I hope you enjoy getting to know that new face in the mirror :)

Carlos said...

great job! way to go..

Chubby Chick said...

You have come so far already... and your progress pics are truly amazing! What an inspiration!