My Progress

Monday, December 29, 2008

Resolution?

The whirlwind 6-city Christmas eat-a-thon is over! Ugh, that was tiring, but so fun. I really enjoyed seeing my family and my girlfriend's family this holiday season. It was a lot of driving and a lot more eating, but I told myself ahead of time I was going to indulge (reasonably) and I wasn't going to guilt myself over any of it. I gave my online tracker a break and enjoyed all the tasty seasonal fare from which I had abstained on thanksgiving. I tried to practice a little restraint and managed to continue getting my veggies, dairy and more than 80oz water in daily, but there was definitely some damage done (particularly without being able to work out all week).

Now, because I was on the road this whole time, I didn't manage to make it to a meeting the entire week. This isn't ideal since there is a new program to which we're all trying to get accustomed, but it is nice that I don't have to face the official scale until I've had a week to recover. That's not to say that I don't know where I stand. I hopped on the Wii Fit when we got back. It was an evening weigh-in after a big meal at my aunt's house, so I took this with a grain of salt, but it was a bit hard to see +7.8 pounds show up.

I nodded, followed through on my guilt-free promise, and told myself it'd all be gone by next weigh-in. This is the second morning since that evening. I've had one full OP day and I'm happy to say that (although I'm trying not to weigh so much) I checked again today and I'm only 1.8 up from last official weigh-in now.

So there's the past week. Now it's time to look to the future. We have a new year on our hands, which to me means a couple of things:
  • I'm gonna have trouble finding a parking spot at the gym
  • The WW meetings are gonna be full of new faces
  • 4-6 weeks from now, everything will be back to normal
I hate to sound like such a curmudgeon because I really do respect anyone who is willing to face this struggle head-on. It isn't easy, and those newcomers will need all the support they can get. I'm just saying a lot of people do this resolution business and I know a lot of them aren't going to stick with it.

So I'm not going to make some sort of resolution to improve myself in 2009. I made that decision on May 3, 2008 and I think I've already demonstrated my resolve. I'm just gonna keep doing what I'm doing because I know this shit works. If nothing else, this year has definitely brought that into resolution.

No comments: