My Progress

Friday, July 10, 2009

Not doing so well on my reunion tour, huh?

I guess I hadn't really anticipated how busy the holiday weekend and following week would be for me. I was hoping to get in more blog posts this week, but unfortunately, I got thumped pretty hard with strep. On Monday, I woke with a twinge in my throat and by that afternoon, I was shivering at my desk, counting the minutes until I could pile into my car, drive home and climb into bed. When I finally did just that, I first found that the summer heat, which had brought my car's interior up to well over 100° wasn't enough to make me feel comfortable. I continued to shiver the whole drive home with the windows up and the A/C off. Once home, I wrapped myself in a couple of layers, a sheet and a blanket and left the fan off. I never once broke a sweat, despite all this heat I was pumping into myself, a sure indication something was up. My girlfriend came home to find me in my pathetic state and popped a thermometer in my mouth, followed shortly thereafter by the last of our acetaminophen. My fever was 102°. My throat was as raw as can be. I refused to let that stop me from enjoying the pulled pork we'd planned. I managed to eat a small serving of dinner, but I was still feeling pretty miserable.

In fact, I was out of commission for the next several days. I would wake up each morning with a slightly lower fever from the night before, 100.5 on Tuesday morning, 102.7 that night, 99.9 Wednesday morning, then it finally broke Wednesday afternoon around the same time I had finally gotten my script filled from my doctor's appointment that morning. Oh, and I apparently have a pretty bad ear infection on the right side as well. "You don't feel that?" "No, my pounding headache, swollen, raw throat and throbbing adenoids must be distracting me."

So I've been on antibiotics for 36 hours at this point. I'm back into the land of the living. Yay for completely knocking me off my "back to working out" kick. I got a whole bunch of nothin done this week. Luckily, the lack of appetite and huge caloric demand garnered from immune defense have made up for it. I'm down... a lot. I guess we'll see tomorrow morning just how much.

Now that I'm back on my feet, I'm going to take the loss (unhealthily achieved though it may be) and run with it. I intend to get in a light workout tomorrow morning, weigh in, forgo the usual excess that is high-point Saturday and press on with a solid week. I'm determined to keep my ass in gear and I will not be denied.


TJ said...

man your hardcore if you still managed to eat some pulled pork with a fever of 102!!

Glad your on the mend! My BF had the same thing- he was freezing but sweating like he was in a sauna! eww

bbubblyb said...

Take it easy and don't over do it, sorry you were sick.

~ugly girl with a beautiful heart~ said...

Sorry to hear you'd been so sick!

Head up sweetheart, glad to see you're still determined!

arielcircleofnine said...

glad to hear you are feeling somehwat better, that had to suck!!! I hear you about taking the loss and running with it but dont over-do it, your body needs to catch up on nutrients right now too. Take good care!

Dina said...

Glad you're feeling better, strep sucks!

wildfluffysheep said...

Strep is nasty. Sorry to hear about that *hugs*

Yeah. take that loss and run like frickin' Forest Gump!

Ron said...

Glad your feeling better